What is Whisky?
Whisky (or whiskey) is a type of distilled spirit made from grains such as barley, rye, wheat, or corn. The grains are mashed, fermented, and then distilled to create a high-proof alcohol. The whiskey is then aged in oak barrels for a period of time, during which it develops its characteristic flavour and colour. The flavour of whisky can vary widely depending on the type of grain used, the ageing process, and other factors such as the water source and climate of the region where it was produced. Some of the most popular types of whiskey include Scotch, Irish, Bourbon, and Canadian whiskey.
What’s the different between Whiskey and Whisky?
Whiskey (with an 'e') refers to grain spirits distilled in Ireland and the United States. Whisky (with no 'e') refers to Scottish, Canadian, or Japanese grain spirits.
Whisky in Cocktails
Whisky has been a popular spirit for centuries, enjoyed straight or on the rocks. However, whisky cocktails have also become increasingly popular in recent years. The versatility of whisky allows for it to be mixed with a variety of other ingredients, resulting in an endless array of cocktail options. Bourbon is a popular choice for cocktails because of its smooth, sweet flavour. Rye whisky, on the other hand, has a spicier flavour that pairs well with citrus and other tart flavours.
Ready to start mixing up a drink? Read on below to discover our favourite Summer whiskey cocktail recipes.
3 Whisky Cocktail Recipes
Whisky & Orange Juice (Orange Whisky Sour)
This cocktail takes the classic mix of Whisky and Orange Juice and creates a punchy drink - otherwise known as the Orange Whisky Sour. You can experiment with variations of this recipe by switching the juice (we recommend Pineapple or Cherry), adding other ingredients such as a splash of sparkling water (to make a John Collins), or a dash of bitters. Additionally, you can try using different types of whiskey to see how they affect the flavour of the cocktail.
- 50 ml Whisky
- 20 ml Frobishers Orange Juice
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tbsp Simple Syrup (you can find our simple syrup recipe here)
- Garnish: Orange Slice
- Fill a short glass or tumbler with ice.
- Put the whisky into a cocktail shaker with lemon juice, orange juice and sugar syrup.
- Shake and strain into each glass
- Garnish with an orange slice and short straws
This cocktail is a great way to enjoy whiskey with a twist. Mixed with our Ginger & Juniper Sparkler, it has a subtle heat and sweetness that complements the whiskey, while the lime juice adds a tartness that balances out the flavours. You can also adjust the proportions of the ingredients to suit your personal taste.
- 60ml Whisky
- 100ml Frobishers Ginger & Juniper Sparkler
- 30ml Lime Juice
- Garnish: Lime wedge
- Fill a highball glass with ice
- Pour in the whiskey, Ginger & Juniper Sparkler, and fresh lime juice
- Stir well to combine
- Garnish with a lime wedge
Lemon & Mint Julep
This cocktail is perfect for sipping on a hot Summer’s day. Our Lemon & Mint Cordial mixed with whiskey is an easy way to create a refreshing and flavourful drink that's both sweet and tangy.
- 60 ml Whisky/Bourbon
- 10ml Frobishers Lemon & Mint Cordial
- 80ml Frobishers Sicilian Lemonade Sparkler (or any lemonade/sparkling water)
- Crushed ice
- Mint sprig (for garnish)
- Fill a julep cup or highball glass with crushed ice
- Pour in the bourbon, Lemon & Mint Cordial and Sparkler/sparkling water and stir well to combine
- Add more crushed ice to fill the cup to the top
- Garnish with a mint sprig
Whisky cocktails are a delicious way to enjoy this classic spirit in a new and exciting way, and these recipes are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the world of whisky cocktails. There are endless variations and unique twists that bartenders and cocktail enthusiasts have come up with over the years. Try mixing up your own creative cocktails and tag us in your creations on Instagram (@frobishersjuices). If you’re ready to stock up on soft drinks, fruit juices and mixers for your cocktail making - build a custom box online now here.